Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Bison?

Here is the answer to the burning question:  bison or buffalo?






And, I absolutely had to stop, take and picture, and post the picture of the ugliest statue I have even seen.  This is on I80 just east of Laramri, Wyoming. There is a rest area there called Happy Jack Road. John and I used to travel (mostly east) on this highway and Happy Jack is at the top of the last big hill before you start getting into the flatness of Nebraska. We knew once we were to Happy Jack driving would get easier and boring. I vividly remember going up this hill with it covered in ice. Not sure how I made it, but I did, with 40,000 pounds of wine from Napa Valley. Anyway, when you get to the top, there is this ugly ass statue. To me, it looks like Abraham Lincoln is growing out of the top of a tree stump.



It is not nice to say, buy Wyoming is my least favorite state so far. Cheyenne was nice, but from there, nothing of interest, at least on I80. Yellow Stone National Park is in the upper west corner, but to get there, I would have to leave civilization, and I like being able to call or text Jes and Betsy regularly, just to keep in touch. Sprint cell phone service sucks once you are out of Cheyenne. So, I'm heading to the Great Salt Lake.

2 comments:

  1. What is that supposed to be? Does it have some significance? Not nearly as good as the FBI in OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Lincoln was instrumental in getting the Union Pacific Railroad through Wyoming, so they put up this statue. The bust of Lincoln is actually nice, but the tree stump base is AWFUL!

    ReplyDelete