Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Bison - Buffalo - What's the difference?

I am in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Staying at the Terry Bison Ranch. Sounds more exotic than it is, it is a campground.

http://www.terrybisonranch.com/

Jes and I debated, was it named that after a person named Terry Bison, or is the last name Terry and there really are bison. And, by the way, I "googled" the difference between bison and buffalo and couldn't be bothered to read about it, but it seems there is not much difference.

Anyway, here is the answer to Jes' and my question.








Sorry the picture is dark, but it was getting dark outside, and I only have a "point and shoot" camera. Anyway, just below the camping area, there is a fenced in area (a large area), and last night I counted 26 horses. Not wild horses, they actually belong to the ranch. Behind the horses area, were the bison. I tried to count them, and got to 50, including some of the babies. The bison are a pretty lively bunch, and it was hard to count. But anyway, they were quite active. The babies would jump around, and the adults seemed to move around a lot. Not like cows, who can barely be bothered to look up from their meal, the bison seemed to move a lot.

At Terry Bison Ranch, there is a restraunt called the Senator's Restraunt. (how in the hell do you spell restraunt?). I know Dick Cheney was not a senator, but I was not going to eat there if it had anything to do with him. I saw no evidence of that, so I was going to try it. The special of the night was a bison burger for $13.99.  The wait staff ended up being so incompetent that I ended up not even eating there, but I was really glad I didn't eat a bison burger after seeing the cute herd of bison.

There are also three CAMELS here. Yes, CAMELS!!!! I can't get close enough to get a picture, but you can apparently ride them.

Speaking of riding, they offer horseback riding here. I thought maybe I should put that on my bucket list, and do it, until Betsy told me about her very hilarious experience riding a horse. Her horse decided he wanted to stop and eat some bark off of a tree. Her head was in the branches, and she couldn't do anything to get him to move. She said she really did not enjoy having a "power struggle" with a horse. As funny as her story was, I decided I don't want to be in control of a horse either. Horses are big!



No comments:

Post a Comment