Monday, September 3, 2012

Sacramento River and the Sundail Bridge

I spent a couple of days in Redding, CA in a campground on the Sacramento River. A beautiful and very fast flowing river, with a lot of people fishing. The boats would quietly go flying by when going down river, no need to use the engine, then a little while later, they would come back upstream using a lot of engine power. I only saw people fly fishing, for trout and salmon, I think. Not sure about that because I didn't talk to any of them, but they were definitely fly fishing, which looks like it takes some practice and skill.






They are trying very hard to promote tourism, and the beautiful river, so they built a pedestrian bridge, called the Sundial Bridge. It goes from the park on one side of the river to the botanical gardens on the other side, with miles and miles of walking/biking trails. I could not tell what time it is from the shadow of the bridge, but maybe it only works during summer solstice, or one day a year?


Anyway, it was a very pretty part of the country, and the bridge and botanical gardens were free. I love me some free.

2 comments:

  1. I remember from dozens of readings of 'Of Mice and Men', George told Lennie to jump into the Sacramento River then had to jump in to rescue him. Lennie was eternally grateful and George eternally guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely see why George had to jump in to save him. That is a very fast running river! Of course, that may have something to do the the Shasta Dam. It was built to "store" water, and control flooding.

    ReplyDelete