Saturday, February 20, 2010

Trafalgar Square

This is Trafalgar Square.  The present square was completed in 1845. The National Gallery (more about that later) is in the background.  The square is the 4th most popular tourist attraction on Earth according to Wikipedia.  It has long been the site of public demonstrations.  The most recent include - a continuous anti-apartheid protest in the 1980's (I assume most of the decade), the announcement of the 2012 Olympics being held in London, and a mass moonwalk the day after Michael Jackson's death.  Of course, there is a ton more history relating to the square, but since I'm not a student of history, I can't get my head around it all.
There is really good information about it on Wikipedia, my most trusted source of info.


2 comments:

  1. Oh My!!!! I just noticed I spelled it wrong in the title!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, got it fixed. Thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete