Sunday, October 14, 2012

Chinatown San Francisco

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinatown,_San_Francisco

Jes and I took a day to explore Chinatown. The Autumn Moon Festival was going on and it was a Saturday, so the crowds were quite large. It was good to see that most of the people out and about that day were actually Chinese. I was thinking the festival was just a tourist thing, but apparently it wasn't. The booths were geared toward Chinese, for example, the movies/videos were in Chinese, no English movies. I am not very familiar with Chinese culture, so I didn't really know the importance or relevance of items in most of the booths.

It was very interesting walking through the grocery stores, and the store featuring cookware was quite amazing. We didn't even bother going into the stores whose targeted customers are American. All in all, I would say it was a good way to take a glimpse into the Chinese culture.






There is a story behind this picture taken from the balcony. Jes and I were hungry and were thinking we would eat some "festival" food, but that wasn't easy to find. So, we were walking by a doorway, and there was a lady inviting us to go upstairs to her restaurant. She had a menu for us to look at, so we decided to give it a try. Climbing the stairs with apprehension, we were pleasantly surprised to see a very clean, well lit, crowded dining room. And the food was very good! I am not adventurous with food, so beef and broccoli was my choice, and Jes chose fried rice. I may forever be spoiled by freshly cooked Chinese food.

Here is the cookware store.








And what in the hell is this? It was in the grocery store.


2 comments: